Wednesday, September 11, 2013

THE STORYTELLER'S BIBLE
Act III -Wisdom Literature, Scene 4
Script by Bob Allen
For four voices


Scene 4

1                2                4            3

VOICE TWO:            I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice.

VOICE ONE:             In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.

VOICE FOUR:          But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.

VOICE THREE:        Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.  For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.

VOICE TWO:            Why do the righteous suffer?

VOICE ONE:             Job was a man of integrity, all that a human could be with respect to holiness, by God’s own testimony.

VOICE TWO:            He suffered, even though he had done nothing to bring about his suffering.

VOICE ONE:             But this wasn’t a contest between Job and God, this was a contest between God and Satan, to test the character of Job.  God trusted Job to retain his integrity in the face of suffering.

VOICE THREE:        Take his possessions and he’ll curse God.

VOICE FOUR:          The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

VOICE THREE:        Take away his health and he’ll curse God.

VOICE FOUR:          Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?

VOICE TWO:            There are some things God allows to happen even to those who are righteous, things for which we have no immediate explanation, but through it all we must trust God to bring His ultimate good.

VOICE ONE:             That was the greatest mistake made by Job’s friends—they looked for an immediate explanation.  In spite of their many words, their greatest comfort for Job came during the first seven days and seven nights when they shared his grief without saying a word.  It was when they opened their mouths that they became miserable comforters.

VOICE TWO:            Eliphaz!

VOICE THREE:        Sin remains the cause of all suffering.   Despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty.  Somewhere, sometime, Job must have sinned.

VOICE TWO:            Bildad!

VOICE FOUR:          God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will He help the evil doers.  So Job must be a hypocrite.  All those years of outward uprightness simply hid an evil heart.

VOICE TWO:            Zophar!

VOICE ONE:             We have always thought well of you, Job.  But your suffering shows that you were a liar.   The eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall not escape.  God should actually be punishing you double.  Your suffering is even less than your sin deserves.

VOICE TWO:            Job!

VOICE THREE:        No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.  Have pity upon me, for the hand of God has touched me, but not for my sin.  I know that my Redeemer liveth and even though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh will I see God.

VOICE TWO:            God never told Job why he was suffering.  Instead, he treated Job to a visual demonstration of the transcendent majesty of His omnipotent power.  In rapid succession He described for Job the wonders of the natural world which were beyond Job’s understanding, yet firmly under the control of the administrative sovereignty of God.

VOICE ONE:             Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth upon nothing?

VOICE THREE:        Do you command the morning, or control the gates of death?

VOICE FOUR:          Is it your hand that guides Orion through the night sky?

VOICE ONE:             The colorful wings of the peacock, did you make those?

VOICE THREE:        The eagle?

VOICE FOUR:          Behemoth?

VOICE ONE:             Leviathan?

VOICE TWO:            God never told Job why he was suffering.  But when Job saw God, instead of just hearing about Him, he fell on his face and repented in dust and ashes.  And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends, and the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment