Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Character Needed - Bible Sketches 10



CHARACTER NEEDED – BIBLE SKETCHES
Character Needed, by Robert Allen, published by Regular Baptist Press, includes 33 skits illustrating the truths of each of the verses in Proverbs 15.  These Character Needed – Bible Sketches are designed to accompany those contemporary plays, illustrating the same character traits by use of a Bible story.  


CHARACTER NEEDED









THE END OF SAMSON

Proverbs 15:10
Judges 16:4-30

Character Trait:  Obedience

Cast of Characters

                        Narrator
                        Delilah
                        Samson
                        Lad

NARRATOR:             The sun streamed through the window and warmed Samson as he lay comfortably on the couch.  He was so comfortable.  On the floor next to him sat a large bowl of cherries and grapes and figs.  Next to that was a pitcher of ice and cold spring water, the best water in all the land of the Philistines.  And best of all, cradling his head in her lap, was one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen.  Her name was Delilah.

DELILAH:                 Would you like some more grapes, Samson?  Is there anything else the servants can get for you?  Are you completely comfortable?

SAMSON:                  Yes, completely.  There is nothing more a man could possibly want.

NARRATOR:             Yes, Samson was comfortable.  But he was not where God wanted him to be.  God had chosen him to be one of the judges who ruled the people of Israel.  He had called him to be a special man, a Nazarite, and had told him not to drink wine or touch a dead body, and not to cut his hair.  As an Israelite, he was supposed to marry a woman who believed in God, but here he was down in the country of the Philistines with a woman who worshipped idols.  Samson had left God’s way for his life, and his punishment was approaching rapidly.

DELILAH:                 Samson, you are so strong.  Why, you can carry the gates of the city on your shoulders.  You can kill a lion with your bare hands.  Please tell me where you strength comes from.  If one of your enemies wanted to bind you, how could they do it?  You can tell me.  You know you don’t have any enemies in this house.

SAMSON:                  All right, I’ll tell you.  If you would take seven grape vines that are still green, that have not dried up yet, and bind me with them, all my strength would disappear.

DELILAH:                 Oh, thank you for telling me, Samson.  Now I know that you really love me.  How about some more cherries and grapes?

NARRATOR:             Samson had eaten so much that pretty soon he fell asleep.  As soon as Delilah saw that he was asleep, she sent a servant out for seven grape vines and had them tie him up as he slept.  Then she started poking him in the side.

DELILAH:                 Samson!  Wake up!  The Philistines are attacking you.

NARRATOR:             Samson jumped up and broke the vines from off his hands as if they had been thread.  But when he looked around there were no Philistines to be seen.

DELILAH:                 Oh, Samson.  You lied to me.  You didn’t tell me where your strength comes from at all.  How could you do that?  You just have to tell me now, or I’ll never believe that you love me.

SAMSON:                  Oh, all right.  If you tie me up in new ropes that have never been used before, then I’ll be weak.

NARRATOR:             Samson still didn’t catch on that Delilah was trying to trick him, and so pretty soon he fell asleep again.  This time, she had the servants tie him with new rope.  Then she poked him again.

DELILAH:                 Samson, wake up!  The Philistines are upon you!

NARRATOR:             Quickly Samson jumped to his feet and raised his arms to fight.  The ropes broke away as if they had never been tied.  Before Samson could question Delilah about the ropes, she started in on him again.

DELILAH:                 Oh, you don’t love me at all.  You lied to me two times.  You have to tell me where you get your strength.  You have to tell me, or I’ll cry!

SAMSON:                  All right.  All right.  Don’t’ cry.  Here’s what you would do if you wanted to take away my strength.  Weave my hair into seven locks and tie it into a web.  Then I’ll be weak.

NARRATOR:             You would think Samson would have caught on by then.  But he still believed Delilah loved him and was just playing around.  So he went to sleep again and sure enough, she tried the new plan.  But of course it didn’t work any better than the others.  Delilah still didn’t give up, though.  She knew Samson was weakening.

DELILAH:                 Oh, Samson.  How can you lie to me like this?  You’ve lied three times.   How can you say you love me?  You would make me the happiest woman in the world if you would just tell me.  Please, Samson.  Please!

SAMSON:                  All right.  I’ll tell you.  I have been a Nazarite since I was born, and my hair has never been cut.  If my hair were ever shaved off, I would be weak like other men.

DELILAH:                 Oh, I know you are telling me the truth now.  And I know you love me.  How about some more grapes?

NARRATOR:             Samson was so far away from God by now that he didn’t realize what was happening.  Delilah waited until he fell asleep again, and…

DELILAH:                 Come quickly and cut off his hair.  He’s told me the truth.  Hurry!  Cut it all off!

NARRATOR:             So the servants did as she said.  And right behind them came the Philistine soldiers.

DELILAH:                 Samson, wake up.  The Philistines are here!

NARRATOR:             Samson jumped up and prepared to defend himself as before.  But this time his strength was gone because he had disobeyed the Lord.  The Philistines soon overpowered him.  They put out his eyes and led him to prison, bound by a heavy chain.  There they tied him to a heavy grindstone so he could pull it like an ox.  Next they announced a great feast of celebration.  The brought Samson into the room so they could mock him.  As they were laughing at  him he called a young boy to him.

SAMSON:                  Listen, lad.  I want you to take me over the pillars which hold up the house.  I’m tired and I need to lean on something.

LAD:                           All right, sir.  I’ll take you over there.

NARRATOR:             When Samson felt the pillars, he began to pray.

SAMSON:                  Lord, I know I haven’t done what you wanted me to do, and that’s why I’m in this trouble.  But please remember me, and give me back my strength this once so I can be revenged on the Philistines for putting out my eyes.

NARRATOR:             When he finished praying, Samson pushed on the pillars with all his might.  The entire house fell down on Samson and all the Philistines.  So Samson died, but in his death he helped to deliver his people from their enemies.  That was the task God had given to him as a judge.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment