Friday, January 10, 2014

Character Needed - Bible Sketches 32



CHARACTER NEEDED – BIBLE SKETCHES
Character Needed, by Robert Allen, published by Regular Baptist Press, includes 33 skits illustrating the truths of each of the verses in Proverbs 15.  These Character Needed – Bible Sketches are designed to accompany those contemporary plays, illustrating the same character traits by use of a Bible story. 


CHARACTER NEEDED



  

THE LOST SON

Proverbs 15:32
Luke 15:11-32

Character Trait:  Caring

Cast of Characters

                        Son
                        Father
                        Narrator
                        Boss
                        Elder Brother

SON:                           Father, I’m not getting any younger, and I’ve decided that I want what’s coming to me right now.  I want my half of everything that belongs to you.

FATHER:                   All right, son.  I’ve been planning to divide everything between you and your older brother.  I guess now is as good a time as later.  Each of you will have half of what is mine.

NARRATOR:             And then, after the son got his half, he made another announcement.

SON:                           Father, I’ve decided to take a trip.  I’m tired of this old place where nothing ever happens.  I’m going to some far country, and I’m not sure when I’ll get back.

ELDER SON:             I knew he was up to no good.  The money helped him make lots of friends at first.  They had big parties and ate lots of food and did some drinking.  He just kept spending and spending until all of the money was gone.  Served him right when his friends quit inviting him to their parties.

SON:                           I’m going to starve if I don’t get something to eat pretty soon.  Maybe there’s a job with one of the farmers nearby.  I know they raise pigs and as a Jew I’m not supposed to have anything to do with pigs, but I have to live somehow.

NARRATOR:             So he took a job feeding pigs.  He knew he needed help, but he thought he could still help himself.  Out in the field he got so hungry that he decided to take some of the husks the pigs were eating and munch on them.

BOSS:                         Hey, what do you think you’re doing?  That slop is for the pigs, not for you.  Get back to work and leave that pig food alone.

NARRATOR:             That was when the son realized that he needed help.

SON:                           There is so much food at my father’s house that even the servants have bread left over when they are done eating.  Yet I’m over  here in this pig pen and the farmer won’t even let me eat their food.  There’s only one place to go for help.  I’m going home.  I’ll tell Father to make me one of his servants.  It will be hard, but at least I’ll have something to eat.

NARRATOR:             Once he realized he needed help, it didn’t take long for him to set off toward home to get it.  When he got close to home, the first person he met was his father.  Right away he started on the speech he had prepared.

SON:                           Father, I’ve sinned against heaven and against you.  I’m not worthy to be your son any longer.

NARRATOR;             But before he could say anything about wanting to be a hired servant, his father stopped him with a big hug and a kiss.  He turned around and called to some of the servants who had come out to see what was going on.

FATHER:                   Bring out the very best robe and put it on my son.  Bring out that ring I’ve been saving and put it on his hand.  You there, bring shoes for his feet.  Tell the cook to kill the fat calf and prepare a feast.  We’re going to celebrate.  I thought my son was dead, and he’s alive.  He was lost, but now is found.  This is a day for rejoicing.

NARRATOR:             I guess he got even more help than he was looking for.   The father accepted him as his son once again.

ELDER BROTHER:  I wasn’t too happy about it.  But then I never did like my brother as much as Father did.

NARRATOR:             I think the father loved both of his sons.  He wanted to do everything he could for both of them.  And when the prodigal came admitting he was a sinner and needed help, the father was ready and willing to help him.  That’s just like God, isn’t it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment