Monday, January 20, 2014

The Story of Castle Rock Camp Chapter 4



CHAPTER FOUR:  SPIRITUAL VICTORIES

From the earliest days of Camp Castle Rock the greatest blessings came from the spiritual challenges received by the campers.  There were exciting hikes up Storm Castle Mountain and Garnet Peak.  Swimming in the river or over at  the Hot Springs was always fun.  The tether-ball court was worn smooth every year after only one week of camp.  But it was in the chapel that the most wonderful memories were created.


A three year curriculum was adopted by the camping committee covering such subjects as My Bible, Bible Heroes, Christian Living, The Deity of Christ, Christian Ethics and Personal Evangelism
  Music played  an important part in the worship experience at camp as well.  There was singing around a campfire after a mountain hike, and there were special numbers at every chapel service from campers like the Sheehan sisters and the many siblings in the Grotzke family.  


Evangelists, and Bible teachers from Baptist colleges and seminaries in those early years included Bernard Northrup, Jerry Sivinsky, Jeff Alexander, Walter Olson, Earl Matteson, B. Myron Cedarholm, Gary Gillmore, Joe Mark, Harold Asire, Richard Weeks, Neil Cadwell and Warren VanHetloo.  Most of the teaching was done by pastors from within the state of Montana.   Walter Lacy would leave Broadus in a big church bus and pick up campers all across the state until they finally arrived at camp.  Once there, it was men like Frank Moore, Art Coats, Arthur Allen, Carroll Onstatt, Arthur Bigelow, Ernest Humphries, Shirley Sjoblom, Frank McQuoid, Fay Garner, Lester Mengel, Al Pearson and Alfred Smith ,who would challenge hearts with Bible preaching and teaching.
      It was after such meetings that campers would lie in bed at night, listening to the rush of the river and thinking about God’s call on their lives.  It didn’t matter that you had to move to new seats in chapel when it rained and the roof leaked.  It didn’t matter that you had to brush your teeth from water in a basin filled at the one faucet in front of the boy’s cabins.  What mattered was that God had met with you and you had met with Him.  He was the One who made a week at Castle Rock Camp the experience of a lifetime.

Friday night after the evening service a campfire would be built in the area in front of the chapel.  There the campers would take a hunk of wood, toss it into the fire to show their desire to “burn out” for Christ, and give testimonies of what God had done in their lives during the week.  Those services often went on for many hours as young people shared the spiritual victories which had come at camp.  Every year there were great reports of those who had been saved, had re-dedicated their lives to Christ, or had sensed a call to full-time Christian service.
  Several individuals have been willing to share testimonies of what Camp Castle Rock has meant in their lives.  So imagine yourself sitting around a roaring campfire, and listen to these stories of spiritual victory.

TESTIMONIES

  “I have many fond memories of camp, which began earlier than for some, because my father, Pastor Arthur Coats, was also involved in the beginning events of the camp.  I remember work days, meetings and hikes that became a big part of our lives every summer.  As I reached camper age that enthusiasm did not fade and I appreciated and learned from the Bible classes, missionary teachers and even sports.  After our family moved on to another work, one of the first things we looked for was a Bible camp like Castle Rock Baptist Camp.  After 15 years I returned with my husband, during the summer of 1983 as missionary appointees to Japan.  Castle Rock has been an example of what summer camps should always be: an oasis (getting away for a week from the every day struggle of the Christian), a week of summer school (some great studies done in the Word); and a pep rally (challenges for going on when we returned and the tools to do it with).”
  Vicki (Coats) Mansell



  “The Lord has given me the privilege of being at Castle Rock Camp every summer for its first 24 years.  At the age of nine, I was a camper at the very first week of Junior Camp.  I thank the Lord for a pastor and parents who believed in a camping program and worked hard to see it become a reality.  After my first year at Junior Camp, I was never ‘sent’ to camp again.  I spent eleven months every year looking forward to July when it would be camp time again.  As a teenager, camp meant a time of spiritual learning and played a great part in the molding of my life.  During those years I grew to respect the pastors and workers who cared enough to come and spend a whole week with us.  Now, as an adult, camp is even more special to me.  I realize more all the time just how beautiful the scenery is, but even more important, I know how much the bonds we formed with one another in Christ mean to me.  Thinking of camp reminds me of the word “church.”  When we refer to the church, we really mean the people of the church, not the building, even though it may be beautiful.  Camp is beautiful at any season, but when the people are gone, there is a feeling of emptiness, because the people make camp what it is.  It was the people who came year after year that influenced my life and that I have grown to love in the Lord.”

  Deanna (Strand) Leslie
 
  “During the fifteen years we were in Ennis the camping program became a very important part of our lives.  When the need for a new dining hall became apparent, many faithful folks donated hours and hours of labor, using the adapted building plans from the first phase of Rocky Mountain Baptist Church to make the new Allen Lodge a reality.  After God called us to Michigan in 1988 we still wanted our own children to experience Castle Rock Camp.  They did.  They took their friends and they were truly enriched spiritually by making those trips to Castle Rock.  Cheyenne’s good friend, Angie Knapp, met her husband, Glenn Bies Jr. during one of those camp weeks.  No matter where we are the strains of “How Great Thou Art” always take us back to Castle rock—a special place with special people and a special purpose.”
  Paul Leslie

“As a junior higher I had already attended Camp Bethel for several years and was not too excited when I learned that our church would be participating in a new camp in Montana.  But one week in the summer of 1961 changed all of that.  Castle Rock didn’t have the beautiful facilities we had enjoyed at Camp Bethel, but it had a spirit and an excitement that quickly convinced me it was the most wonderful place on the face of God’s earth.  The next few summers I did everything I could to be there every week the camp was in session.  If I was not a camper, I would volunteer to work.  By the time I entered high school I was even allowed to help as a counselor for some of the younger campers.  It was during one of those weeks when I was serving as a counselor that God used a special series of messages to challenge my heart.  Rev. Carroll Onstatt, from Butte, was sharing the story of Missionary Jim Elliot.  He and five other men had been killed by the Auca Indians in Ecuador just a few years before.   Jim was the man who had written, ‘He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.’    As I listened to Pastor Onstatt I made a decision.  God could have my life to do with it whatever He desired.  I belonged completely to Him.  Later we moved back to Missoula and pastored the Bible Baptist Church, making it possible for our children to enjoy the same camping experience I had so loved.  Although they didn’t realize it until during their college days, our son Kent and his future wife Dorinda Lind went to the same weeks of camp and met each other at that time.”
  Bob Allen


The camp has been a part of my life since 1977 when I married Harold.  We went to family camp and the children attended camp.  I began helping as Junior High camp as a counselor and loved working with those girls.  The camp needed a cook and I was asked to cook for several weeks.  I cooked in the old kitchen up until the new dining hall became useable.  It did not have the conveniences, as all the dishes were washed by  hand and dried with towels.  We had a dog named Mercy that I had to bring with me during the weeks that I cooked and she became well known and liked by the kids and workers alike.  Joyce Nichols was a right hand helper and helped make it a blessed time as well as a successful endeavor.  One of the fun times I remember was the time Joyce and I decided to fix a special pancake just for Jack Phillips that contained a strainer pad.  My current job at “Senior’s Camp” is to work with crafts for the ladies.”
  Edith Davidson


  “Our memories of camp are many and varied.  What we remember most are the campfires at night with singing and testimonies.  Climbing Castle Rock and swimming at the hot springs was loads of fun, but the best part was being with other people our age and singing about God and studying His Word.  We all went home at the end of the week determined to be better Christians, better witnesses and testimonies to others at home and in our neighborhoods and school.  Jerry and I probably saw each other at camp, but didn’t know each other until high school in Laurel when I moved from Great Falls and then Billings.”
  Roxy and Jerry Lawver


  “We thank God for our camp.  We have seen many give their hearts to the Lord in salvation, a great number of dedications, and many continuing on.  Yes, many of our own children continuing in the Lord’s work.  Preachers, those who have married preachers, missionaries and Christian workers.  It was at camp that our own children were grounded in the Word and now the next generation as well.  Thank God for a great Christian camp and the things being accomplished there.  Continue on—don’t let down in our lives and prayer life for this camp.”
  Bob Grotzke


  “I went to Castle Rock during the summers of 1983-1988. There are a lot of fond memories of the people who were also there during those years.  Dr. and Mrs. Allen, Jack and Lilas Phillips and Ken and Vicki Mansell were the three couples who had the greatest impact on my life as a camper and later as a leadership camper and counselor.  I remember responding many times after Ken had preached to just be willing to go wherever and do whatever God would lead me to do.  The faithful example of the Phillips and their willingness to befriend a gangly teenager will always be a cherished memory of my high school years.  I remember the buzz that would go through the camp each year as they would pull in the gate.  We were all awestruck by Jack and his knowledge of the outdoors and his love for hiking and we would wonder how an old codger like Jack could out hike us youngsters.  Dr. and Mrs. Allen were also dear friends during

those years.  I enjoyed learning about Israel and I remember the summer we all participated in a reenactment of the Seder meal.  The one message I remember from camp that he preached was, of all things, on choosing a wife.  Don’t choose a wife because she had a beautiful face, but because she has beautiful feet.  Make sure that the person you marry is willing to serve the Lord.  I’m so glad God has given me a wife with beautiful feet. 

Those were important days and years in my life and I’m so glad that God used Castle Rock Camp to help prepare me for a life of service in another camp, Ironwood Christian Camp in the Mojave Desert of southern California.”
  Andrew Pust


  “The first time I saw the site it was hard for me to believe that the Lord could use that run-down place for  His glory. But after some work days the appearance was soon changed.  We repaired and replaced the water system and worked on the cabins.  It was here that I first met Pastor Onstott whom I learned to love a great deal.  I remember building an outside toilet in the early days.  I believe it was Jerome Maart who helped me with that construction job.  It was not all work, however, as we had many good messages in the evening after work was done.  I saw the Lord work in mighty ways.  If you have never attended a “campfire testimony time,” you have missed a great blessing.  Here we would sing gospel songs and give testimonies of the blessings we had on our hearts.  All of our children, and some of our grandchildren, have attended Castle Rock Baptist Camp and it is always a highlight of their summer vacation.”
  Grant Lawver







 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment