Tuesday, November 26, 2013

CHARACTER NEEDED – BIBLE SKETCHES
Character Needed, by Robert Allen, published by Regular Baptist Press, includes 33 skits illustrating the truths of each of the verses in Proverbs 15.  These Character Needed – Bible Sketches are designed to accompany those contemporary plays, illustrating the same character traits by use of a Bible story.  


CHARACTER NEEDED













THE RICH YOUNG RULER

Proverbs 15:6
Luke 18:18-29

Character Trait: Honesty

Cast of Characters

                        Rich Young Ruler
                        Mother
                        Sister
                        Narrator
                        Christ
                        Disciple

RICH RULER:           Mother, I’ve decided what I’m going to do with my life.

MOTHER:                  I’m happy to hear that, son.  And what is it you’ve decided to do?

RICH RULER:           Well, I’m tired of staying around this place.  So I’ve decided to do some traveling.

MOTHER:                  Traveling?  You mean you want to take a trip to Egypt or Rome?  I’m sure we can arrange it.  You have some relatives you could stay with at either place.

RICH RULER:           Maybe someday.  But right now I was thinking about seeing my own country.  I haven’t seen much of the land of Israel.  I thought maybe I’d just travel around and see Galilee and the Jordan Valley and maybe even the Negev.

SISTER:                      You’re going to leave home?

RICH RULER:           Yes, sister.  But I’ll be back.  I won’t stay away forever.

SISTER:                      We’ll miss you.

RICH RULER:           And I’ll miss you.  But it’s something I just have to do.  And I’ve decided to do something else, too.

MOTHER:                  What’s that?

RICH RULER:           I’ve decided who I’m going to travel with.  Do you remember me telling you about that prophet I went to hear the other day?

MOTHER:                  You mean Jesus of Nazareth?

RICH RULER:           That’s the one.  I’ve been listening to Him preach, and he has a lot of good things to say about loving people and helping them.  He talks about eternal life, too.  That’s something I would like to have.  Even with all the money father had, he still died.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful to live forever and ever?

SISTER:                      I think so.

MOTHER:                  But what if Jesus won’t let you travel with Him and His disciples?

RICH RULER:           Why wouldn’t He?  I can pay my own way.  He’ll probably be glad to have someone with money join the group.  Except for Matthew, who used to be a tax collector, they are just a bunch of fishermen.  I’m sure they need money lots of times.  I’ll make Him an offer He can’t refuse.

MOTHER:                  Very well.  God bless you my son.

SISTER:                      Goodbye, brother.

NARRATOR:             So the rich young ruler set off to find Jesus and offer to become one of His disciples.  He took with him a large suitcase full of clothes, several pair of shoes and a large roll of money.  He had heard about some of the meals the disciples had to eat.  Why, once they had to eat the leftovers after Jesus fed a big crowd of people.  He wanted to make sure he had enough money so that wouldn’t happen to him.  It wasn’t too hard to find Jesus.  He just had to go where the crowd had gathered.  Jesus had been sitting in the middle of His disciples with some children on His lap, but now he was walking down the road, talking to people as He went.  The rich young ruler was so anxious to get started on his travels that he ran up to Jesus and knelt down in front of Him.

RICH RULER:           Good master.  What shall I do to gain this eternal life you have been preaching about?

JESUS:                        Why do you call me good?  There is only One who is good, and that is God.  Are you calling me good because you believe I am God?  That is the only way to eternal life—to believe in Me.  You know the commandments: do not bear false witness; defraud not; honor thy father and mother.

RICH RULER:           Master, I have kept all of these commandments from the time I was a very young child.  Now I want to travel with you and live forever and ever.

NARRATOR:             Jesus just stood and looked at the young man for a long time.  He knew that the man was rich.  He wondered how much the young man would be willing to give up to follow Him.  Jesus knew that no one would really become one of His disciples unless he was willing to give up everything.  Eternal life wasn’t a life to enjoy the things money could buy.  Eternal life was a life of freedom from sin that came with accepting the One who was the way, the truth and the life.

JESUS:                        There is one thing that is standing between you and being a disciple.  Go back to your home, and sell everything you have.  Then give the money away to the poor and desire to have riches in heaven.  After that you may come and follow me.

NARRATOR:             Very slowly the young man’s eyes dropped to the ground.  And very slowly he turned away from Jesus.  Give away all his money?  Could Jesus really mean what he said?  But down deep he know that Jesus really did mean it.  He hadn’t wanted to follow Jesus because he believed in Him.  He had wanted to follow Him because it would be an exciting thing to do, traveling around the country.  Slowly and sadly he walked past the disciples, through the crowd and headed home.  He owned too many things to give them all up—even to follow Jesus.  Jesus was sad too.  He wanted the young man to pass the test.  After he was gone, Jesus turned to His disciples.

JESUS:                        How hard it is for those who are rich to enter into the Kingdom of God.

DISCIPLE:                 What do you mean, Lord?  Can’t rich people believe in You too?

JESUS:                        It is hard for those who trust in riches to believe.  It would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

DISCIPLE:                 Who then can be saved?

JESUS:                        With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.  Even those with money can be saved if they will but stop depending on their riches and believe on me.

NARRATOR:             Back at the rich young ruler’s house his family was glad to see him, but at the same time surprised at his quick return.

SISTER:                      Brother!  You’re home!

MOTHER:                  I thought you were going to travel with Jesus.  Wouldn’t He let you?

RICH RULER:           Yes, Mother.  I’m sure He would have.  But the price was too great.

MOTHER:                  But you were willing to pay a lot for the privilege of being a disciple.

RICH RULER:           Yes, Mother.  But it doesn’t just cost a lot.  It costs everything.

NARRATOR:             So the rich young ruler never did become a follower of Jesus.  But there were those who were willing to give up everything for Him.  They did become His disciples.  And they are still becoming His disciples today.  Like the young man said—

RICH RULER:           It doesn’t just cost a lot.  It costs everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment