Friday, January 8, 2016

Children of Acts - A Daughter of Pentecost



CHILDREN OF ACTS












A DAUGHTER OF PENTECOST
A monolog for a teen girl
By Robert Allen
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.
 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment,
 because each one heard their own language being spoken.”  Acts 2:5-6

            Jerusalem will never be the same again.  My parents and I attended services in the upper room that day because of my Uncle Philip.  As one of the disciples of Jesus he took very seriously the assignment Christ gave them before he went back to heaven.  He wanted everyone to know the good news about Jesus and that included his own extended family.   We knew Jesus had promised to send the Comforter to abide with us forever, but we really didn’t understand what that meant.  At least I didn’t.
            The first thing I noticed was the wind.  Here in Jerusalem we are familiar with the sirocco winds that blow in from the desert, but this was different.  The air in the entire room began to move even though no windows were open.  The wind came from no physical source as far as we could tell.  It simply began to blow.  Then a flame appeared which the wind fanned into a fire in midair.  The fire separated into small flames which rested on each one of us, still glowing brightly but not burning our skin.  I turned to say something to my parents but they spoke first in a language I didn’t know.  When I answered them they couldn’t understand me either.
            I started to panic, but Peter seemed to know immediately what was happening.
            “This is the coming of the Holy Spirit which our Lord promised,” he said in a calm voice.  “The Spirit will make it possible for us to do what Jesus commanded.  And to show us that he is making it possible for us to obey Christ’s command to witness to all nations.”
             When he said that, I understood as well.  It was the season of Pentecost and people from all over had come to Jerusalem to celebrate.  There were people from Judea of course, but also those from Egypt and Libya, Rome and Crete.  There were people who spoke languages we didn’t know and now we had been given the ability to communicate with them. 
            Seizing on the miraculous opportunity the Holy Spirit had given us we headed out into the streets of Jerusalem.  Walking through the crowded streets I heard a family talking together in the language I had tried to use with my parents.  They were from Pamphylia and you can image how exited they were to talk with someone who understood them.  They kept asking me if I was from Galilee, and how I could speak their language.  So I told them about the coming of  the Holy Spirit.  We had a wonderful time getting acquainted.  It seems they had already heard about some of the events concerning Jesus and were very curious. They were glad to listen as I told them of His love for them.  When I shared His purpose for coming to earth and invited them to trust Him as Savior they accepted my invitation willingly.
            All around me others were doing the same, communicating the good news of the gospel in languages they had never studied.  A very large group gathered around Peter and as he preached we translated his words for people from over fifteen different countries who would never have understood him otherwise.  By the end of that marvelous day over three thousand people had come to faith in the risen Christ, including my new friends from Pamphylia.
            That’s why Jerusalem will never be the same.  The Holy Spirit has come.  Multitudes are receiving the gospel.  We have the power to do what Christ commanded us to do.  When my new friends said “goodbye” they promised to share the good news with everyone back in Pamphylia as well.  And they already know the language.  So really, it is not just Jerusalem which will never be the same.  The world will never be the same.
            The world will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment