Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Children of Acts - John Mark



CHILDREN OF ACTS











JOHN MARK
By Robert Allen
A monolog for a teenage boy
“Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, but Paul did not think
it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia
and had not continued with them in the work.”
Acts 15:37-38


            I have just made the stupidest mistake of my young life.  I have thrown away the greatest opportunity ever available.  I really wonder if my Lord will ever be able to use me again.  Please listen to my story, if only to keep from making a similar mistake yourself.
            I was born into one of the most blessed homes God ever created.  Even though my father died when I was quite small I never knew even one moment of want.  My mother Mary came from a wealthy family and father had left us a great deal of money as well.  Mother had the same spirit as my uncle Barnabas and our home was always open to those who were serving our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 
            Do you remember the night an angel rescued Peter from prison and he went to a home where a prayer meeting was being held?  That was the time Rhoda, the servant, got so excited when she heard his voice that she didn’t even open the door and let him in.  Well, that was our house.  Prayer meetings were a regular occurrence there.
            But I am sure you are wondering about this big mistake of mine.  It was a big mistake because I had been given such a wonderful opportunity.  When Uncle Barnabas and Paul set off on their first journey from Antioch to share the gospel and start churches they asked me to go with them.  Can you imagine?  A young fellow like me traveling with one of the greatest Bible teachers in the entire world.  Everyone spoke like that about Paul, even Peter and the rest of the disciples who were still preaching in and around Jerusalem.  The Holy Spirit chose Paul and Barnabas and Paul and Barnabas chose me.
            I watched when entire cities came out to hear Paul preach in the fields outside of town.  I stood next to them when he and Barnabas opposed the religious leaders with divine power that could only have come from God.  I witnessed hundreds of Jews and Gentiles coming to faith in Jesus Christ the Messiah.  I was there when we discovered the plot to stone us to death in Iconium.  I was  in Lystra when Paul healed a lame man and the leaders of the city tried to offer sacrifices to them calling them Jupiter and Mercury.  When they changed their minds and stoned Paul to the point of death I cried, and then rejoiced when he got up and went right back into the city.  Those were the greatest days of my life.
            So why did I walk away from the work when we arrived in Pamphylia?  I’m not even sure about that myself.  We had traveled long and worked hard and perhaps I was tired.  But I really don’t think that was the real reason.  I missed my home and my mother but I was old enough to deal with potential homesickness.  Besides we were on our way back to Antioch and the trip was almost over.   So I don’t think that was the reason either. 
            I have thought and thought about this.  I know that I still love my Lord and want to spend all of my life working for Him.  I know that I love my Uncle Barnabas and my respect for the Apostle Paul could not be greater.  The fact that I really didn’t have a reason to leave just makes the leaving all that worse.  I suppose I could blame it on Satan, and maybe he did have something to do with it since he definitely stirs up trouble everywhere we go.  But in the final analysis my selfish choice was simply a great mistake.
            I had only been home for about a day before I wanted to change my mind again.  But that opportunity had passed.  Paul and Barnabas continued on their journey and I couldn’t be sure where they had gone after Pamphylia.  Besides that, I knew Paul would not be happy with me because he certainly had not been happy when I left.  The only thing I knew to do was wait until they were back in Antioch and ready to travel on another journey.  Then I would plead with them to forgive me and let me join them once again. 
            I certainly hope they will.  Forgive me, that is.  I made a terrible mistake and I am really afraid that it will stop me from doing what I want to do most of all.  I am afraid it will keep me from serving my Lord.  I don’t want that to happen.  And that’s why I am telling this to you.  Maybe you have been tempted to quit as well.  Don’t do it.  Be steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.  That’s what Paul always says.  I just wish that I had listened.

               
           

No comments:

Post a Comment