Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Joash - The King Who Would Not Die Chapter Fifteen



THE KING WHO WOULD NOT DIE









THE KING WHO WOULD NOT DIE
By Robert Allen
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

            The royal wedding for King Joash and Queen Haggith took place one month later on a beautiful summer day in Jerusalem.  No feast had been planned like the one when he married Jehoaddan.  No one wrote epic songs of praise in honor of the new couple.  Jehoaddan’s grandfather succeeded in closing the national purse to prevent such a celebration.  Instead Haggith traveled from her home in Ramah to Jerusalem in the company of her parents instead of the traditional group of bridesmaids.  In the presence of Jehoiada a single gold coin exchanged hands along with a writ of covenant promising Haggith a life-time income should anything happen to the king.
            Joash fought hard to honor her with a feast.  He desired all of Jerusalem to see her beauty on display but this time he lost to Jehoaddan’s grandfather in front of the council.  Jehoiada finally convinced him that the wedding itself held greater importance than the celebration.  King Joash listened to the priest but left the council even more determined to assert his will in future negotiations.
            Everyone in the temple rejoiced with the success of the collection now that the chest sat in the courtyard.  Once each day the king’s scribe and a priestly representative counted the money and stored it safely away in the temple treasury.  Money, gold bracelets, silver earrings, brass plates and bowls all appeared in the chest and very soon Joash announced the beginning of the temple restoration project.
            “Find me the best carpenters in all the land,” he said to the council.  ‘No second-rate workmen for the house of the Lord.  God’s house must be restored the glory of the days of King Solomon.”
            In order to find the best workmen they announced a contest.  Carpenters from every part of the land came to Jerusalem with chairs, tables, candlesticks and cradles.  A carefully chosen panel of judges inspected the items and announced the winners.  Since stone masons couldn’t bring walls and houses and watchtowers to the capital city, the judges for that part of the contest traveled into the countryside to inspect their work.  Goldsmiths displayed elaborately decorated rings, necklaces of delicate filigree and finely examples of finely beaten gold leaf.  Brass workers offered candlesticks and dishes, pots and vases for judging.
            One contestant entered a small image of a golden calf, but judges disqualified the entry on the basis of its symbolic meaning.  That really didn’t bother the man because he made so much money selling his figures that he really couldn’t afford to take time off to work on the temple.
            Most of the craftsmen considered it a great privilege to have an opportunity to work on restoring Solomon’s temple.  They desired to win and worked hard to perfect every item they submitted to the judges.  When they announced the winners those men eagerly started to work.  First they inspected every room in the temple and compiled a list of work to be accomplished.  Walls needed to be repaired, roofs had leaks to be patched, and gold and silver decorations stolen by the Arabians and Queen Athaliah had to be replaced.
            From the completed list each man chose a task most suited to his expertise.  The sound of work began early each morning and continued throughout the entire day on the temple mount.  King Joash rode over daily to inspect the progress and consult with the priest Jehoiada had chosen to provide oversight. 
            But other matters demanded the attention of the king as well.  For one thing, he had become a father.  Jehoaddan sent for him to come to her chamber one morning after breakfast.  The strange request followed months where she had simply ignored him after his wedding to Haggith.  Entering the room he saw her standing over a small cradle gazing proudly down at the biggest baby Joash could ever remembering seeing.  Of course, he really hadn’t seen that many babies.
            “Joash.  Meet your son, your first-born son.”
            The king realized immediately the cause for her joy.  Not only had she given birth to a son, her son stood first in line to inherit the kingdom.  She remained jealous of Haggith’s beauty, but she had given the king something Haggith could never achieve.  She would forever remain not only the first among the royal queens, but would now be the mother of the next king to reign. 
            “A boy?  My very own son?”  The king stood over the crib and tried to figure out how to take the child out of his bed.  Should he pick him up by the scruff of the neck like the cats who roamed the palace gardens?  Should he grab him by the legs like you would a chicken trying to escape?  Neither of those options seemed quite right.
            “Hmm,” he turned to the queen.  “How do you work him?”
            Jehoaddan smiled sweetly, glad to have the king’s attention once again.  She privately rejoiced that her son looked like Joash and not like her.  She knew what people said behind her back and had checked his nose the very first thing after giving birth.  Carefully she leaned over the cradle and picked up her son, placing him gently into the arms of the king.
            Joash stood stiffly, his arms extended to the front, holding the child like a log of wood.
            “What do I do with him now?”
            Jehoaddan laughed and rescued the infant before the nervous king could drop him.  “Nothing.  I will care for him until he is ready to stand by you as the prince of Judah.  But you will need to give him a name.”
            The king didn’t hesitate.  Long before he had decided his son would bear a name in memory of his grandfather.  “The boy will be named Amaziah.”
            With the work on the temple nearly complete, King Joash announced a celebration of re-dedication.  A banquet would be held lasting for seven days, starting each evening at sundown and lasting until well past midnight.  During the day sacrifices would be offered at the temple, hundreds and hundreds of sacrifices.  He planned to spread the word to the camel drivers and invite them to stage a huge sale outside the city walls.  The week would include holy days, fair, circus and party all rolled into one.
            “Everyone in the entire land of Judah tells me they are excited to come,” he told Haggith.  “Years have passed since a celebration of this extent has been seen in the land.”
            “Then why will I not be allowed at the banquet,” pouted Haggith, her lower lip quivering.
            “Because women don’t go to banquets,” Josiah explained for the thirteenth time.  He found it so difficult to say no to Haggith, but women just didn’t attend banquets.  That would have broken tradition and the last queen who had broken tradition had been Athaliah.  “You could have your own banquet,” he said.
            Haggith stuck her lip out further and started to cry.  ‘I don’t want my own banquet.  I want to come to your banquet.  Queen Athaliah attended banquets.”
            “Of course she did.  She didn’t have a king to tell her what was right.  You don’t want to be like her.”
            “If you loved me you would let me come.”
            “I do love you.   That’s why I can’t let you come.  If the council heard you even suggest such a thing they would decide you are just like Athaliah and would make me send you back to Ramah.  You know Jehoaddan’s grandfather hates you.”
            “Oh, Jehoaddan, go wave a fan,” Haggith sulked.  “She gets everything just ‘cause you married her first.”  Large crocodile tears ran down her cheeks, smearing the dark circles around her eyes which the fine ladies wore in imitation of Egyptian fashion.”
            “No she doesn’t, dearest.”  Joash could not stand the sight of tears.  “Please don’t cry.  I’ll give you anything you want only please don’t ask to come to the banquet.”
            “All right,” she sniffled.  ‘I won’t ask about the banquet again.  There is something else I want.”
            “Anything,” he promised.  “Only please don’t cry anymore.”
            “I haven’t been able to worship God the way I used to before I came here to Jerusalem.  The priests won’t allow me to take my sacrifice into the holy place in the temple.”
            Joash’s jaw dropped and his eyes bugged nearly out of his head.  “Into the holy place?  Haggith, you don’t know what you are asking.  I can’t give you permission to enter the holy place even if I am the king.  It is against the law of Moses.”
            “You’re not listening to me,” she said.  “I can’t worship the way I used to worship because no images of God exist in your temple.  I used to worship visually, Joash.  I need something to see when I pray or I just can’t get into the mood to worship at all.  I need to see God.”
            “But the law says….”
            Once again the tears began to flow.  “You promised, Joash.  You promised anything.  I need a golden calf, one of my own, just to keep in my own room.  I won’t take it up to the temple.   I will even hide it from the servants.  No one will ever know.  Please, Joash, please.”
            The king felt miserable.  He loved Haggith and desired to please her, to make her happy.  Yet letting her worship a golden calf, even in the privacy of her room, would violate every vow he had ever made to Jehovah.  Jehoiada would be angry and God would….but he had promised.
            “You really want your own image?  And you would use it in your worship of Jehovah?”
            “Of course.  If you grant me this desire I will never ask for another thing, never!”
            “All right.  But you must not purchase it here in Jerusalem.  I don’t want to know when or where you buy it and I don’t want to know where you keep it here in the palace.  If Jehoiada finds out I will swear that I knew nothing about it.”
            “Oh, thank you.  I have a good friend in Ramah who will be happy to buy one for me.”
            “I said, I don’t want to know.”
            “I understand, but I am so excited.  To have a god of my own again.  One who listens just to me.  I mean, to have an image of the one true God so I can worship him better.  Oh, thank you Joash.  Thank you.”
            “Well, I hope that will make you happy.
            “Oh, it will Joash.  It will.”  She threw her arms around his neck, hugging him close and smothering him with kisses.”
            “Joash?”
            ‘Yes, Haggith?”
            “Do you suppose I could have just a little, bitty banquet of my own like you said?"

No comments:

Post a Comment