Friday, November 6, 2015

Take My Advice - The Parable of the House on the Rock


















TAKE MY ADVICE

By Bob Allen

Based on the parable of the house on the rock – Luke 6:47-49

Characters

                                    Mabel
                                    Helen

Synopsis:         Mabel attends a weekly appointment with her doctor and gives careful attention to everything he says, but she refuses to put into practice any of his advice.

Costumes:       The two women wear gardening clothes.

Setting:            Mabel and Helen stand at the back fence separating their lawns.

Time:               The present.



HELEN:          So how did your visit with the doctor go yesterday?

MABEL:         Wonderful, just wonderful.  I feel so much better just having spent an hour in his office.

HELEN:          I suppose I should go more often.  The music really is wonderful.

MABEL:         Dr. Busby’s office has the best music in town.  Everyone says so.

HELEN:          And his office chairs are so comfortable.  Why the last time I went there I fell asleep right in one of those chairs.

MABEL:         It would certainly be easy to do.   I sit in exactly the same chair every time I go.  One time someone else was sitting in my chair and I had to ask the secretary to move them. 

HELEN:          I saw old Mr. Cassidy sleeping one time with his head back and snoring like a log.  His wife was so embarrassed, she kept poking him in the ribs trying to wake him.

MABEL:         I could never sleep through my office visit.  I wouldn’t want to miss anything the doctor says.

HELEN:          What did he tell you to do this time?

MABEL:         I don’t remember.  I seldom remember anything he says after I leave the office.  But I do so love to listen to the sound of his voice.  He uses such rich, full tones when he speaks.

HELEN:          Does he tell you the same thing every week?

MABEL:         Oh no.  He prepares a new talk every time.  He’s very good at giving advice.

HELEN:          I always felt his talks were very practical myself.  When I go.

MABEL:         Yes, I can think of several people in this neighborhood who would benefit greatly by listening to him.   Why, Mrs. Hutchinson was sitting in front of me last week and I could have sworn he was talking right to her.

HELEN:          Well, she certainly needs to listen to someone.  She has more problems than a compost pile has worms.  So you don’t have to change your diet or cut down on calories or take medicine or anything?

MABEL:         I suppose he talked about some of those things, but you can’t expect me to remember details.  I didn’t see anyone else taking notes.

HELEN:          But how will you ever get better if you don’t take your doctor’s advice?

MABEL:         Get better?  What do you mean?  There’s nothing wrong with me.

HELEN:          Then why do you go to the doctor’s office every week?

MABEL:         Why everyone in my neighborhood goes to see a doctor once a week.  It’s what we do on weekends.  What would people think if I didn’t go?

HELEN:          Well, this is a very medical neighborhood, you’re right there.

MABEL:         Besides, my mother went to the doctor’s office once a week all her life, whether she needed it or not.  If a visit to the doctor was good enough for my mother, it’s good enough for me.

HELEN:          I suppose you’re right.  Well, I’d better get back to work.

MABEL:         It’s been good chatting with you, Helen.

HELEN:          You too, Mabel.  See you at the office this weekend?

MABEL:         Every week.  Come rain or come shine.  See you at the office.

THE END


No comments:

Post a Comment