Monday, November 2, 2015

The Fruit of the Spirit Goes West - The Breaking






THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT



 



GOES WEST




The Breaking

By Bob Allen

 



“The fruit of the Spirit is…meekness.”  (Galatians 5:22)

“…restore such a one in the spirit of meekness” (Galatians 6:1)

CHARACTERS







            Rocky Rhodes                                               – A true-blue, rootin’-tootin’



Western cowboy.







            Hal Anger                                          - A ranch hand.




            Lane Back                                          - Another ranch hand.

SCENE


            The men lean over the top of a rail fence, looking into a corral.  They seem to be staring at a horse, or something, that refuses to be broken.

LANE:           Well, I guess that’s just about all we can do today.  You can lead a                                 horse to water, but you can’t make him…

ROCKY:        I’m not ready to quit yet.

HAL:              I was ready hours ago.  We’re wasting our time on this one.

LANE:           He’s not wantin’ to be tamed, that’s for blamed sure.

HAL:              Time for a fence post right between the eyes if you ask me.  That                                   would get his attention.

LANE:           Nah, just turn him loose and let him run wild.  You’ll never get any                               work out of him.

ROCKY:        I don’t know.  I think there’s some potential there.

HAL:              After the way he bucked you off?  You gotta’ be kiddin’.

LANE:           He’ll never be corralled.  Might as well send him off on his own.

HAL:              I’d send him off—off to the glue factory.

ROCKY:        I know he’s spirited.  But that’s something you like in a horse, isn’t it?

HAL:              Yeah, sure.  But not in him.  Besides, it ain’t spirit—it’s devilment.        

LANE:           Give him his walking papers.  What will the neighbors think if you’ve                           got a wild one running around?

HAL:              (Starting to climb over the fence.)  If he tries to kick me again, I’ll                                  break his leg.

ROCKY:        Let me have a go at it.

HAL:              What?  Do ya’ think he needs love or something?

ROCKY:        Might be a good place to start.

HAL:              (Jumps back down from the fence and prepares for a fist fight.)  You                           accusin’ me of not lovin’ him?

ROCKY:        I ain’t accusing you of nothin’, just askin’ you to give me a go at him.

LANE:           No, he ain’t accusin’.  But if you do love him, you sure got a strange                              way of showin’ it.   Why not let him go?  At least you’ll get the                                        problem off your hands.

HAL:              I’ve half a mind to go get a rifle and plug him.  (Starts to leave.)

ROCKY:        (Stopping him.)  You can’t do that.

HAL:              I most certainly can.  He belongs to me.

LANE:           He’s got a point there.

ROCKY:        But yours to train, not to destroy.

LANE:           He’s got a point there.

HAL:              Shut your mouth.   Or I’ll shut it for you.

LANE:           (Pretends to zip his lip.)  Anything you say, boss.

HAL:              I’ve given him shelter, all he can eat, paid all his expenses and this is                              what I get for it?  He grows up and runs wild.

ROCKY:        Let me take him over to my place and work with him for a few weeks.

HAL:              Might as well.  If he stays here any longer, I’ll probably kill him.

ROCKY:        (Leaves the platform and walks through the audience toward the                                  back.)  Come with me, son.  Your Dad says you can come home with                             me.

LANE:           (Unzipping his lip.)  How old is your boy anyway?

HAL:              Thirteen.

ROCKY:        (From back.)  Restore such a one, in the spirit of meekness.







           


No comments:

Post a Comment