Friday, November 13, 2015

The Seven Deadly Sins Go West - Bronco Bustin'



THE



 



SEVEN DEADLY SINS GO WEST







BRONCO BUSTIN’

By Bob Allen

“He that is slothful in his work
is brother to him that is a great waster.”
Proverbs 18:9

“Not slothful in business”
Romans 12:11

Deadly Sin: Sloth

CHARACTERS


            Rocky Rhodes,                                  – A true-blue, rootin’-tootin’                                                                                                            Western cowboy.


            Teddy Knight                                                - One LAZY rancher.

           
SCENE

            THE FRONT YARD OF TEDDY KNIGHT’S CATTLE RANCH.  TWO RECLINING LAWN CHAIRS SIT SIDE BY SIDE.  IN ONE OF THEM TEDDY LAYS BACK, ICE TEA GLASS IN HAND.  HE IS TIED TO THE CHAIR BY SEVERAL LENGTHS OF ROPE.   THE OTHER CHAIR IS EMPTY.  ROCKY ENTERS CARRYING A LARIAT.

ROCKY:                     Mr. Knight?

TEDDY:                     Teddy’s the name.  Bronco bustin’s the game.  Have a seat.                                                 (HE POINTS AT THE OTHER LOUNGE CHAIR.)

ROCKY:                     (SITS ON THE EDGE OF THE CHAIR CAREFULLY SO AS                                        NOT TO TIP IT OVER, BUT TRIES NOT TO LAY BACK.)                                            Got a wild one, eh?

TEDDY:                     That’s what they keep telling me.  No one has been able to tame                                          him.  Not even me.   And I’m the best in the          business.

ROCKY:                     Have you tried horse whispering?

TEDDY:                     No, just yelling.  I haven’t been able to get loose from these ropes                                       and close enough to whisper.

ROCKY:                     (STANDS)  So you want me to untie you?

TEDDY:                     Don’t you dare touch my ropes.  Do you know how hard it is to                                          tie yourself up and then slide the knots around behind your back so                             you can’t reach them? Why, it took me most of the morning.

ROCKY:                     But if I helped…

TEDDY:                     Then what would I do all afternoon?  It will take me until quittin’                                       time to slide the knots back around so I can undo them.  But I’ll get                               started as soon as I finish my iced tea.  Care for a glass?

ROCKY:                     No thanks.  (PAUSE)  So how long you been bustin’ broncs?

TEDDY:                     All my life.  I was just a little cowpoke when Daddy said, “Teddy,                                                 I want you to become the best bronco buster this side of the Rocky                                                 Mountains.”  That was the same day I bought my first lawn chair.

ROCKY:                     (WALKS AROUND TEDDY’S LAWN CHAIR AS IF                                                     LOOKING FOR SOMETHING.)  Did I miss something here?

TEDDY:                     Not at all.  If you can’t break in a lawn chair you can’t break in a                                         bronco.

ROCKY:                     Really?  I haven’t seen too many bucking lawn chairs.

TEDDY:                     Just like everything else in life.  Have to start small.  Savor your                                          victories.  Discover your strengths.  Eliminate your weaknesses.

ROCKY:                     So do you always start bustin’ broncos from here in your lawn                                             chair?

TEDDY:                     Every working day for fifteen years.  On my days off I forgo the                                        rope.

ROCKY:                     I don’t think I can wait fifteen years.  I’ll just head over to the                                            corral with my lariat and see if we can tame this one a little faster                                        than that.  (PICKS UP HIS ROPE AND STARTS TO LEAVE.)

TEDDY:                     (REACHES OUT TO STOP HIM AND TIPS THE LAWN                                                CHAIR OVER, BUT MANAGES TO GRAB ROCKY BY THE                                      ANKLE.)  No, please.  Don’t do that.  Don’t take away my                                                  greatest pleasure in life, my incentive to live.  All I have ever                                        wanted to do is bust broncos.  Would you rob me of that                                                     satisfaction?

ROCKY:                     (GRABBING HIS OWN LEG AND TUGGING TO GET LOOSE.                                  HE BEGINS PULLING THE LAWN CHAIR AND TEDDY                                      BEHIND HIM.)  But you don’t bust broncos.

TEDDY:                     I want to.   I stay awake nights just thinking about how much fun it                                    would be.   I just can’t get out of this chair.  I’m afraid I’ll die here.

ROCKY:                     (PULLS LOOSE AND GOES BEHIND THE CHAIR WHERE                                       THE KNOTS ARE TIED.)  Then let me untie the ropes.

TEDDY:                     (ROLLING THE CHAIR AWAY FROM ROCKY SO THAT HE                                                GETS EVEN MORE BOUND UP IN THE ROPES AND THE                                         COLLAPSING CHAIR.)  No.  Don’t touch those ropes.  What if                                         there’s a mountain lion between here and the corral? 

ROCKY:                     Seriously?

TEDDY:                     What if the horse doesn’t like me?

ROCKY:                     Like you?  While you are breaking him?

TEDDY:                     What if one of the ranch hands laughs?  What if I don’t measure                                        up to Daddy’s expectations?  Just leave me alone. 

ROCKY:                     (GIVES UP TRYING TO UNTIE THE ROPES.)  All right.  Have                                                 it your way.  I’ll just head down to the corral and see what I can do                                    to tame this wild beast of yours.

TEDDY:                     (FINALLY SUCCEEDING IN RIGHTING HIMSELF AND THE                                              CHAIR.)  See what I told you?  It works every time.

ROCKY:                     What works every time?

TEDDY:                     I just stay here in my chair and every time the bronco gets busted.                                       I’m the greatest bronco buster this side of the Rockies, just like my                                Daddy said.

ROCKY:                     If that’s success, I’d hate to see a failure.

THE END




DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

  1. Why is sloth considered a deadly sin?
  2. Does sloth affect other people, or could it be considered a victimless crime?
  3. How is sloth different from simple laziness?
  4. Does laziness always lead to sloth?
  5. How can a person become aware of participation in slothful behavior?
  6. What is the best way to deal with the temptation to be slothful?
  7. Why does Proverbs 18:9 compare slothfulness to wastefulness?
  8. Why do slothful people work so hard to avoid work?
  9. Is the fear of failure an adequate explanation for being slothful?
  10. Do you think the desire to get others to do something you don’t want to do provides an adequate motive for slothful behavior?
  11. How does the warning of Romans 12:11  provide a path to victory over the sin of sloth?

No comments:

Post a Comment