Sunday, October 18, 2015

Children of Bethlehem - Son of the Magi



CHILDREN OF BETHLEHEM








SON OF THE MAGI
By Robert Allen
 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was.  When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.  On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.  And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route..”  Matthew 2:9-12
A monolog for a teen-age boy.

            My father ranks as one of the wisest men in the entire world.  Of course, you wouldn’t have any way to know that clear over here in Bethlehem.  But in our home country everyone knows my father.  He is one of the Magi.
            Never heard of the Magi?  Let me tell you about them. 
            In our country we have religious leaders just like you do.  We have political leaders and scholars as well.  But we also have the Magi.  Our political leaders look to them for advice.  Our scholars come to them and beg to be taught.  Our religious leaders try to ignore them, but they know that the people check what they say by asking the same questions of the Magi.  The Magi are the wisest of the wise.
            My father speaks seven languages fluently and reads another six.  That was how he even knew about the star when it appeared.  He was reading in the holy books of the ancient Hebrew people.  It said, “A star shall come out of Jacob.”  He compared that with other extant prophecies, debated the meaning with others among the Magi, and they decided as a group to follow the star here to Bethlehem.  Can you just imagine my excitement when father said I could go with them. 
I figured we had come to the end of our long journey when we visited the palace in Jerusalem.  But instead the Magi were introduced to another ancient prophecy.  They were astounded that the Jewish King didn’t know about Micah.  He had to call in some religious leaders to interpret for him.  Apparently he only speaks Aramaic and not Hebrew.
 Once they heard Micah read aloud, my father and the rest of the Magi headed right down here to Bethlehem.  What the prophet Micah said agreed perfectly with what they already knew.
            I am so proud of my father and his wisdom.  But there is one thing I couldn’t understand at first.  You see, back in our home country, father would have nothing to do with religion.  When people would come to him with questions they had asked the religious leaders he would just laugh at the answers they had been given.  He claimed that all religion was a waste of time.  He called it an “imaginative flight of fancy that will never satisfy the soul.” 
            And yet, when we arrived here in Bethlehem and went to the house where the baby lived whose star we had been following—I saw my father fall down on his knees and worship!
 Worship! 
He believes that this baby announced by the magnificent star came from heaven.  He claims that this baby is God.  A God in human flesh.  All of the other Magi agree with him as well.  They don’t even argue about it.  All of them worshipped him as they gave him some very expensive gifts, fit for a king, or a God.  They all said that they wished they were younger so they could see what the baby does and hear what he says when he grows to become a man.  They believe that he will impart truth even greater than anything the Magi have written.
My father ranks as one of the wisest men in all the world.  And I trust him.  So, do you know what I did?  I joined them in worship.  And I promised myself that I will listen to what this God-man says when he grows up.   I will observe what this God-man does.  I will worship him and obey him all the rest of my life.
When I told my father of my decision, he placed his hand on my shoulder and said, “I am proud of you son.  He will satisfy your soul.” 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment