Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Fruit of the Spirit Goes West - A Peculiar Proposal







THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT
GOES WEST

By Bob Allen






THE PECULIAR PROPOSAL



                                       Galatians 5:22  “The fruit of the Spirit is love…”

John 21: 15  “Lovest thou me more than these?”





Characters

                        Rocky Rhodes                                      A true-blue, rootin’-tootin’
Western cowboy.

                        Samantha Rider                                -Rocky’s long-time sweetheart.

                        The Lonesome Guitar Player           -A lonesome guitar player.

Scene


            Rocky and Samantha are seated on a horse blanket enjoying a picnic Samantha has prepared.   A large rock in the background hides the Lonesome Guitar Player from view.  On the top of the rock sits an apple pie.


ROCKY:        You all outdone yourself with this potato salad.  Delicious.  Not too                                many things I love more than potato salad.  (THE LONELY GUITAR              PLAYER REACHES UP FROM BEHIND THE ROCK AND TAKES THE PIE.)  Course there is one thing I love more.

SAM:              Hot apple pie?

ROCKY:        Not a chance.  Out here in the middle of the prairie?

SAM:              Better than potato salad?

ROCKY:        Even if it’s cold.

SAM:              Been heating it ever since we tethered Ace and Queenie down by the                             stream.   Set it over on that rock while you were busy with the saddles.                 A glass cover and a blazing sun can do wonders for a slice of apple pie.  (THE GUITAR PLAYER REPLACES THE PIE ON TOP OF THE ROCK MINUS ONE SLICE.)

ROCKY:        Ice cream?

SAM:              Don’t push your luck.  (SAMANTHA CROSSES TO THE ROCK TO                        BRING BACK THE APPLE PIE.)

ROCKY:        Not too many things I love better than hot apple pie and ice cream.                                (AS ROCKY TAKES A BIG BITE OF PIE, THE LONESOME                              GUITAR PLAYER BEGINS TO STRUM.)  Course, there’s one thing                I love more.

SAM:              A guitar?

ROCKY:        Not too many things I love more than the soft strumming of guitar                                strings.

SAM:              I thought we were going on a picnic alone.  What’s he doing here?

ROCKY:        I don’t see anyone.

SAM:              Come out from behind that rock.  I know you’re there.

ROCKY:        Maybe it’s a solar-powered CD Player.  A solar cell and a blazing sun                           can do wonders for modern technology.

SAM:              CD Player?

ROCKY:        Not too many things I love more than the quadraphonic sound of                          woofers and tweeters reproducing the skillful technique of a master                                musician.   (THE LONESOME GUITAR PLAYER HITS A SOUR                                   CHORD.)

PLAYER:      Sorry!

ROCKY:        (ASIDE)  Not too many things I hate more than a sorry guitar player.

SAM:              Get out here and show your sorry face.

PLAYER:      I can’t.

ROCKY:        He can’t.

SAM:              He most certainly can.  

PLAYER:      No, I can’t.

ROCKY:        No, he can’t.

SAM:              Why not?  Are you legless or just spineless?  (THE LONELY                                         GUITAR PLAYER QUITS STRUMMING.)

ROCKY:        Now you’ve gone and done it?

SAM:              I’ve done it?  Who invited this intruder to our picnic in the first                                     place?

PLAYER:      He did.

ROCKY:        I did.

SAM:              You did?

ROCKY:        I thought it would help create the proper mood, so I could tell you                                 how much I love…

SAM:              My potato salad?

ROCKY:        There’s something I love even more than that.

SAM:              Hot apple pie and ice cream?

ROCKY:        Even more than those.

SAM:              More than Ace?

PLAYER:      Don’t push your luck.

SAM:              I’ve given you your last warning, buster.  Either get out here with that              confounded guitar high above your head or I’m coming to flush you out with guns ablazing.  (SAMANTHA STARTS AROUND ONE  SIDE OF THE ROCK WHILE THE PLAYER RUNS FROM THE OTHER SIDE, HANDS HELD HIGH AND SCREAMING AT THE                          TOP OF HIS LUNGS.)

PLAYER:      Help!   (HE DISAPPEARS AGAIN BEHIND THE ROCK WHILE                             SAMANTHA COMES OUT THE OTHER SIDE.) HELP!

SAM:              Come back here you pie-stealing, string-plucking, party-crashing,                                 two-bit, good-for-nothing…

ROCKY:        (SHOUTING AT THE SAME  TIME AS SAM AND THE GUITAR                          PLAYER)  I love a woman who enjoys being alone with me.  I love                           a woman who isn’t afraid to take matters into her own hands.  I love a                      woman who chases guitar players out of their hiding places.  (THE                         LONELY GUITAR PLAYER SUDDENLY STOPS SHOUTING AS                                     SAMANTHA STOPS CHASING.)  I love… (ROCKY REALIZES IT IS QUIET AND SOFTENS HIS VOICE)  Samantha.

SAM:              More?

ROCKY:        More.

SAM:              More than…?

ROCKY:        ACE.

SAM:              How much more?

ROCKY:        Well, let me put it this way.  I ain’t never going to ask Ace to marry                               me.

(ROCKY AND SAMANTHA EMBRACE AS THE GUITAR PLAYER WALKS OVER AND TAKES THE REST OF THE APPLE PIE.)

PLAYER:      If it ain’t “more than,” it ain’t really love.

(THE LONELY GUITAR PLAYER STARTS STRUMMING AGAIN AS ROCKY AND SAMANTHA WALK HAND IN HAND INTO THE SUNSET.)

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment