Friday, October 30, 2015

The Fruit of the Spirit Goes West - Where's The Beef?






THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT

GOES WEST




Where’s The Beef?

By Bob Allen



“The fruit of the Spirit is…gentleness.” (Galatians 5:22)

“the kindness (gentleness) and love of God our Savior toward man appeared”
(Titus 3:4)

CHARACTERS







Rocky Rhodes                          – A true-blue, rootin’-tootin’



Western cowboy.







                        Dillon Marshall                                  - The local sheriff.







                        “Polecat” Thompson                         - A rustler.


                       

SCENE


            DILLON MARSHALL, THE LOCAL SHERIFF, HAS DISCOVERED “POLECAT” THOMPSON EATING A PICNIC ON ROCKY RODES RAND PROPERTY.  “POLECAT” SITS ON A BLANKET WITH A LARGE BUCKET IN FRONT OF HIM MARKED “KFC.”

 DILLON:      Take your hands out of the bucket.  Nice and easy now.

POLECAT:   (RAISING HANDS OVER HIS HEAD HOLDING UP A CHICKEN                                     LEG.)  Some law been passed against picnicking, Sheriff?

DILLON:       Not if you’re on your own property, eating your own food.

POLECAT:   (WAVES THE DRUMSTICK.)  It’s my own food.  This ain’t  no                                 chicken farm.

DILLON:       (GOES FOR HIS PISTOL UNTIL HE REALIZES IT’S JUST                                                 CHICKEN.)  So, where’s the beef?

POLECAT:   I got no beef with KFC. 

DILLON:       You know what I mean.  You been rustling beef from Rocky’s farm.                            (DILLON KICKS OVER THE BUCKET AND TRIUMPHANTLY                                 PICKS UP A LOCKER WRAPPED PACKAGE OF HAMBURGER.)

POLECAT:   All right, you got me.  But I ain’t hurting his cattle none.

DILLON:       I suppose some cow just gave you this.

POLECAT:   In a way.   I put the cows to sleep.  Make a small incision.  Take a                                  pound of ground, and with a couple sutures they’re back with the                                     herd.  I call it the South Beef Diet.

DILLON:       You’re under arrest.

POLECAT:   (GRABS THE HAMBURGER AND RUNS AWAY, COLLIDING                             WITH ROCKY AS HE ENTERS.)

ROCKY:        What’s the hurry, man?

DILLON:       I just caught him rustling your cattle.

ROCKY:        But I’m not missing any cattle.

POLECAT:   See! 

DILLON:       (GRABS POLECAT AND HANDS THE PACKAGE OF                                             HAMBURGER TO ROCKY.)  Is this some of your beef?

ROCKY:        (READING THE PACKAGE.)  Rocky Rhodes Rib Eye.  Well, I reckon                        it is.

POLECAT:   I always keep good records.  Can’t resell it without Country of Origin                          markings.

DILLON:       Want me to string him up?  That’s what we used to do with rustlers.

ROCKY:        That’s certainly what he deserves.

DILLON:       He deserves to be buried up to his neck in an anthill and covered with                           picante sauce.

ROCKY:        Let him go.

DILLON:       What?

POLECAT:   You heard the man.  Unhand me.

ROCKY:        (HANDS POLECAT THE HAMBURGER PACKAGE.)  Here.  Have                                    some beef.

DILLON:       What are you doing?  Rootin’-Tootin’ western cowboys don’t give                                beef away to rustlers?

ROCKY:        If you need any more, Polecat, just come by the ranch and I’ll provide              all the meat you need for you and your family.

POLECAT:   All right.  What’s the catch?

ROCKY:        No catch.  I’ll provide everything you need so you don’t need to steal.

POLECAT:   I knew there was a catch.  Sheriff.  Cuff me!

DILLON:       What is going on around here?

POLECAT:   Arrest me.  Now!  No one’s going to make an honest man out of me.

DILLON:       But he offered you your freedom. 

POLECAT:   By taking away my reason to steal?  That ain’t freedom.  I’m a                                      rustler.  My daddy was a rustler.  I was born to rustle and I’ll die                                     rustling.  I get my beef the old fashioned way.  I steal it.

DILLON:       All right.  You’re under arrest.  (GRABS POLECAT AND STARTS                          TO TAKE HIM AWAY.  THEN LOOKS BACK TOWARD                                               ROCKY.)  But, how did you know?

ROCKY:        It takes a real man not to gag on gentleness.


No comments:

Post a Comment